Friday, November 20, 2009

2010 Snowshoe Racing Season Approaches

With the month of December just around the corner I finally decided to post the 2010 Snowshoe Race Schedules here (see sidebar). I’ve been slow to do this because it means admitting to myself that my favorite trail running season is just about over. I have one more fall race in early December and then I’ll be trading my trail shoes for snow shoes. Old man winter can be a grumpy old man but snowshoe racing helps get me through the long, cold New England winter.


Much like ultra running, snowshoe racing in New England is growing in popularity. This is reflected in the number of new races on the GSSS 2010 calendar, growing from 6 races in 2009 to 9 this year. The WMAC/Dion series also added another race to their schedule bringing the total number of races in this series to 18. This growth in the sport is both good and bad in my opinion. On the up side it allows us more opportunities to get out and enjoy a sport we love dearly. On the downside it makes for a crowd at races which diminishes the intimacy and solitude of running in snow-cover forests.


It’s going to be a very busy winter.

1 comment:

  1. I want to try snowshoes this year. I think it's time. ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...